Simple recipe that looks disproportionately impressive – ideal if you want to look ‘wicked’ this summer in front of your mates.
(Please note: Level of wicked achieved may be affected by the quality of banter you bring to the table)
Time: 50 mins Serves: 3-4
- 1 whole Jamaican Jerk Spatchcock Chicken (900g) DIY by cutting down either side of backbone, squashing flat, generously coating in olive oil and jerk seasoning! – or available ready marinated/squashed from www.musclefood.com
- 1 tin red kidney beans
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 2 cups of basmati rice
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ red cabbage – small (shredded)
- ½ green cabbage – small (shredded)
- ½ carrot (shredded)
- ½ zest of 1/2 lemon
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- Salt and black pepper (to taste)
- Pre heat oven to 200 degrees.
- Remove any dodgy looking outer leaves and trim core from the cabbage. Thinly slice cabbage and grate the carrot (or whack the whole lot through a food processor) Add to large bowl with the rest of the ingredients, toss thoroughly and set aside.
(Tip: For extra pickling – make it the day before and leave in fridge overnight)
- Lay chicken, skin side up on a baking tray on middle shelf for 40 mins.
(Tip: Whack the grill setting on for a further 5 mins at the end for extra crispy charred skin)
- While your bird is getting a good roasting – Add the kidney beans (including liquid) 2 more cups of water and coconut milk to a large saucepan with the chopped onion, garlic, thyme and season with salt – bring to the boil.
- Rinse the rice through a sieve until the water runs clear. Once boiling, add the rice, stir, reduce the heat to a gentle simmer for 30 mins.
- Serve up the rice on a big wooden board, sit your big bird on top and pile up some of that slaw on the side!
Disclaimer: If you don’t look ‘wicked’ after this… it is strongly advised that your banter game is re-evaluated.